The diaTribe Senior Editor is responsible for the overall editorial direction and content of diaTribe Learn, the diaTribe Foundation’s weekly publication, as well as all other published content by the organization including the website and social media and blog. Primary focus is on guiding Learn to consistent high quality and fulfillment of its mission: seeks to empower our readers with useful, actionable information that educates them on diabetes and pre-diabetes and offers information and insights to live healthier and more hopeful lives. Our tag line is “Making Sense of Diabetes.”
The diaTribe Senior Editor has overall accountability and responsibility for:
- The publication of high-quality issues according to a weekly publication schedule that reflects our mission and learning areas.
- The pipeline of articles for future issues and editorial calendar, assignments for articles to the appropriate writers, following up with writers to ensure articles are moving through the editorial process and ensuring that resources are in place to meet both quality and production schedule requirements.
- Working with the senior team and editorial staff to shape the strategy and direction of Learn including initiatives to expand circulation, reader impact and engagement.
- Plan and manage the creation, design, and production of all communications vehicles, including press/media, public relations, marketing materials and other externally facing content.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Recruiting and retaining writers and subject matter experts; providing direction and guidance to ensure success
- Assigning writing assignments
- Carefully reviewing and editing submissions
- Developing and advancing skills of writers
- Meeting regularly with writers and staff for coordination and status updates
- Soliciting appropriate editorial help when needed
- Working with our Advisory Board to set and enforce publication standards for editorial content
- Recommending the appointment of Advisory Board members
- Representing the publication externally
- Providing feedback to authors, including publication decisions
- Writing new content, including press releases and all marketing materials
- Managing all external facing content
- Representing diaTribe to the media, placing stories and developing press relationships
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent writing skills and mastery of English
- Previously published
- Broad medical and or science background
- Extensive editing skills
- Able to understand, assess and advise on the medical, social, political and economic aspects of the health care in general and diabetes and obesity specifically as it impacts society and patients
- Demonstrated success planning and executing strategies designed to meet organizational communications objectives
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with variety of individuals, including staff, advisory board members, colleagues and authors
- Familiarity with publication software and social media, ideally
- Previous experience as an editor or associate editor is preferred
- Knowledge of diabetes is not required, but is an advantage.
This position requires frequent use of personal computer and other electronic equipment. Preferably based in San Francisco or major city; some travel is required (to San Francisco if not based there, as well as to major scientific, technology, regulatory, and advocacy meetings, nationally and internationally).
For more information, or to apply, please email jobs@diaTribe.org.