Personal Pizza Meatloaves
By Catherine Newman
Makes: 4 servings
Total carbohydrates: 8 grams per serving
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
I’ve been making this recipe since my kids were small: the combination of traditional pizza seasonings and a superfun size make it (almost) irresistible, especially to children who can feel a little strange about meatloaf. Please do note that the grated zucchini is a crucial ingredient here, as it adds moisture, but squash-shy kids (or adults) are unlikely to notice it. Leftovers make a great, easy pack-along lunch, especially since they’re good cold.
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup almond meal
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella, plus extra for topping
3/4 cup grated zucchini (you’ll only need a single zucchini)
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
1/4 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
1 teaspoons kosher salt (or half as much table salt)
4 tablespoons tomato paste (from a 6-ounce can) (divided use)
1. Heat the oven to 375 and grease 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, gently mix together the beef, almond meal, cheese, zucchini, and seasonings.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg with a heaping tablespoon of the tomato paste, and combine this with the meat mixture, mixing gently.
4. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups, packing gently, then spread a thin layer of the remaining tomato paste over each and bake for 25 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the tops with grated mozzarella and bake another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the meat loaves are cooked through.