Staying healthy when you have diabetes is possible with careful blood glucose management – that’s the best way to reduce your risk of long-term health complications.
Higher blood sugar levels cause damage over time to blood vessels and nerves, which can affect your eyes, heart, kidneys, and other organs. It’s important to be aware of these diabetes-related health complications so that you can act now to avoid them or prevent them from progressing.
- Heart and blood vessel problems
- Infographic: diabetes and heart disease
- Nerve damage (neuropathy)
- Infographic: neuropathy
- Kidney damage (nephropathy)
- Infographic: diabetes and kidney disease
- Eye damage
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)
- Foot damage and amputation
- Depression or diabetes distress
- Pregnancy complications