quotable quotes - April 2011
"I think that we do have to look at treating dysglycemia, instead of focusing on the cutoff for diabetes we have today."
- Dr. Paul Zimmet (Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia), discussing prediabetes at the 4th International Congress on Prediabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome held in Madrid, Spain.
on bariatric surgery
"There is an awful lot more we need to learn about the physiology and the way these operations work."
- Dr. Frank Greenway (Pennington Biomedical Research Institute, Baton Rouge, LA), discussing the potential use of bariatric surgery to treat type 2 diabetes at the 7th Annual Clinical Diabetes Technology Meeting in Philadelphia.
on eating a good breakfast
"Breakfast is the most important meal to do a premeal bolus."
- Dr. Bruce Buckingham (Stanford University, Stanford, CA), pediatric endocrinologist extraordinaire at the 7th Annual Clinical Diabetes Meeting in Philadelphia.
on pump therapy
"Food is the #1 barrier to good control, especially with pump therapy. Dual/square wave boluses can dramatically improve postmeal control."
- Dr. Stu Weinzimer (Yale University, New Haven, CT) , pediatric endocrinologist extraordinaire, at the 7th Annual Clinical Diabetes Meeting in Philadelphia.
on the artificial pancreas
"The FDA seems to be the major obstacle these days."
- Dr. William Tamborlane (Yale University, New Haven, CT), commenting on the development of an artificial pancreas at the 7th Annual Clinical Diabetes Technology Meeting in Philadelphia.